Sunday, December 16, 2007

Cell phones in public places

Should inconsiderate people use cell phones in public?

You know the people I'm talking about, the ones who "scream" on their phone so the entire general population can hear their conversation.

At our local post office, there is one service person who will refuse to wait on a customer if they're talking on their cell phone. He will not say a word until the person gets off their phone while they're standing at his window waiting for him to wait on them. They're usually so caught up in their phone conversation they do manage to walk up to his window when he calls "next" but then they're not aware of why he's not asking them how he can help them. It's common courtesy to deal one on one with the person who is servicing you. Is the phone conversation such an important one it can't wait until you're done doing your business? If so, then you shouldn't be standing in line!

How about a recent trip to Barnes & Noble where I'm standing in line and a woman about my age or a bit older, is literally standing on top of me (which is her first mistake, she's in MY personal space, breathing down my neck-- a simple elbow out on my side will alleviate that problem-- jab to her). Her phone rings and she proceeds to answer and is now YELLING in my ear to someone on the phone who apparently couldn't have waited the 5 minutes it would've taken her to get out of B&N. She continues to scream in my ear...So, I make a few loud comments (not so nice ones but won't cuss her out since there are little kids in line too) but I'm not looking AT her so she's totally oblivious that I'm talking ABOUT her. She tells the person on the phone that "the person in front of me is so rude, must be having a bad day"
at that point I turn and now she's right on top of me again, the first elbow didn't make a lasting impression apparently...I am now in her face saying "YOU are the reason, YOU are the one I'm talking about idiot!!!!!!! You're standing up my butt, screaming on the phone...like anyone in line here cares about your phone conversation, that's RUDE RUDE RUDE". She keeps talking on the phone with this look of astonishment and cluelessness, and I'm still telling her how rude that is and inconsiderate to the cashiers there, the people in line and to just hang up and call the other idiot back in a few minutes when she's out of here. She wants to argue the fact that she's not bothering anyone. Meanwhile people behind her in line are shaking their head in agreement and saying that she's rude and just needs to hang up the phone already. The woman was still oblivious to the fact she was doing anything wrong....what happened to the day when we had those silly olive green rotary dial phones with the long curly cord??!! LOL and I'm not "that" old either but people like her should not have cell phones, she should stick to that olive green rotary!! Meanwhile once I get to register, the cashier thanks me!

So, my point is this...when in public, whether it be in B&N, the post office, the bank, a restaurant...nobody wants to hear your worthless bs conversation you insist on having on your cell phone while you interrupt everyone else's space. It's one thing to talk quietly on your phone which is totally acceptable but c'mon quit the screaming and talking loudly so everyone can hear...nobody cares about your conversation!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home